What is Racial Profiling?
Detaining an individual and conducting an inquiry into that person’s activities simply because of that individual’s race, ethnicity or national origin is racial profiling. Examples of racial profiling include, but are not limited to the following:
- Citing a speeding driver where most other drivers are speeding because of the cited driver’s race, ethnicity or national origin.
- Detaining the driver of a vehicle based on the determination that a person of that race, ethnicity or national origin is unlikely to own or possess that specific make or model of vehicle.
- Detaining an individual based upon the determination that a person of that race, ethnicity or national origin does not belong in a specific part of town or a specific place.
- The Bridge City Police Department has a commitment to unbiased policing. Since January 1, 2002, in accordance with the Texas Racial Profiling Law (Code of Criminal Procedure 2.132), the Bridge City Police
- Department has been collecting police contact data for the purpose of identifying and responding (if necessary) to concerns regarding racial profiling practices.